Today was one of those rare days I felt like baking a cake, mostly fuelled by a disappointing purchase of a bag of not very juicy oranges from Tesco. I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away so I hunted about for a recipe to use them up. Well worth the effort…
Ingredients for cake
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a cake tin.
- Cream butter & sugar til fluffy, mix in orange rind.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well.
- Mix yoghurt & orange juice – add to mixture and blend well.
- Sieve flour & bicarb into mixture and stir to combine until smooth.
- Pour into cake tin.
- Bake for about 40 mins. Stand in cake tin for 5 mins then turn out onto wire rack to cool slightly.
Ingredients for sauce1 cup fresh orange juice 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice 1 tbsp grated orange or lemon rind (or a mix) 1/2 cup of sugar …I added a big spoonful of delicious chilli orange marmalade made by my talented friend Mrs. Chutney
Mix all the sauce ingredients in a pan. Bring to the boil and boil for 5 mins. Then pour over the cake while still hot.
We tucked into a slice while it was still hot and added a dollop of honey and ginger ice cream. Gorgeous :)